Historical Lighthouses of Alger County

Lighthouses2021-05-20T07:47:46+00:00

Our area offers a great selection of interesting, beautiful and historical lighthouses for viewing and photographing.

Grand Marais, MI 49839
Established in 1874, this lighthouse is 86 feet high
Munising, MI 49862
The Grand Island Harbor Range lights, also known as the “Bay Furnace Lights,” are made up of two lights.
Munising, MI 49862
The Grand Island Harbor Range lights, also known as the “Bay Furnace Lights,” are made up of two lights.
Munising, MI 49862
Established in 1867, the Grand Island North Light (also known as the Old North Light).
Munising, MI 49862
The site is open, but the tower is closed to the public.
Munising, MI 49862
The lighthouse is painted white and stands 33 feet in height.
Grand Marais, MI 49883
This is a square tower with a lantern and is painted white.

Historic Lighthouses of Alger County

Grand Island North Light (pictured above and also known as the Old North Lighthouse) was established in 1867. A two-story brick building that stands on a 175′ cliff on the north end of Grand Island. This lighthouse is best viewed by boat. It is currently privately-owned and was beautifully restored by the current owners. The property and lighthouse are closed to the public.

Events Feed

INTERACTIVE MAP

Check out the area on our live interactive map view

 

DOWNLOAD THE INTERACTIVE MAP APP

The Munising Interactive Map App is an excellent resource to use while visiting our area. Multiple trails, waterfalls and area resources are available within the App – with no Internet needed!